Tuesday 8 June 2010

FUNNY KIND OF A WEEK

It has been one of those periods in your life when you don't know if you are coming and going.  Work has been busy, Ann and I are looking at another new venture for our shop and are busy making arangements for that  and my mother is currently laid up in hospital after having a knee replacement which means trips back and forwards to the hospital.
Mind you it was not all fraught there were some nice periods my eldest daugher and I went to Birmingham on Friday to have her final fitting and pick up her wedding dress, the big day is fast approaching.  Hubby came with us as he was needed to carry it to the station and I am sure that there was a tear in his eye when he saw her standing there, mind you that could have been due to the fact that it weighs a ton and he was going to have to carry it with his bad back....

Over the weekend we had plans to do so much - you should never tell the devil too much of your mind my old Nan used to say and of course they never got done as we received a phone call from friends inviting us over to them for dinner. Of course we could not decline such a kind thought.  Lets face it is always nice when someone cooks for you and we spent the longest time just sitting in their garden,

chatting, eating and of course drinking wine. 

Then on Sunday another set of friends rang us up to see if we were in for coffee.... then it was off to the hospital again to visit the invalid.  Mind you I can think of worse ways to spend our time than with people we love.

We also went to a car boot on Saturday but it was very big and far too hot and we were defeated after getting only half way round and could not wait to get back into the car to put on the air con.  Mind you in the time we were there I managed to pick up some new items for the shop.

Hubby who complains he never sees anything he likes found a Victorian etching  by Fred Morgan, famous for his illustration used by Pears the soap company.  He was a happy chappy with that tucked under his arm.

Here it is in pride of place over the fire place in the kitchen.   It is called "The Tug of War" and shows an old grand dad playing tug of war with his grandchildren. 

I found a pair of  Victorian cherub spill vases and a pretty little Victorian milk glass jug with a girls head on it.



This little bare bottom lady came from the house of a lady that had recently passed away at the ripe old age of 102   Her daughter told me that she was made by the same lady that designed the Kewpie dolls Rose O' Neill, I am a little sceptical about that and will have to do some investigative work to find out more about her.  Even though there is so much damage to the plinth she is standing on I had to have her she is just too cute and will join my collection on minature dolls.  She was made to celebrate 100 years of Chicago becoming a city in 1933.


The shelves are just what Annie and I are looking to go on the wall of our new ventrue so had to have these together with another couple of jugs.
So as you can see even though I may not have done the jobs around the house that needed doing it was a weekend well spent.

3 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by the new venture. It sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear what your new venture is - I know it will be something fab if it is you and Ann!

    The cheeky bum made me smile :-D xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your cheeky bum lady, did she come home with you from the States or did you find her at the car boot ? Well done finding the shelves, they will come in handy.
    Ann x

    ReplyDelete

I would like to thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings and for your comments they are much appreciated.